Sunday, August 07, 2011

Amsterdam





Sorry everybody, but I am not sure this website will cooperate enough with my iPad to post pictures while on my trip. If you have Facebook access, I have been posting some there.

Amsterdam is happening everywhere. This is a seriously busy city. Maybe I'm just not used to Europe in the peak of summer but there are people everywhere. So many things define this city. There are the canals, more than Venice. Bicycling is huge here and it feels every bit like China in that sense. In the busy parts of the city, there is marijuana smoke everywhere.

I took a train in yesterday after landing in Dusseldorf, Germany. I had to transfer FOUR TIMES so you couldn't relax and make a mistake. The hostel is great. The building is literally a former brothel. In fact, my room is called "the brothel"! No worries, it's no different than any other hostel lodging and is a very friendly place...outside of the fact my room is "themed" too and has naked lady pictures on the walls! I met Courtney, from Colorado, here this weekend and we rode rental bikes throughout the all of Amsterdam for hours today.


The Anne Frank House brought the drama of the Holocaust to life. The canals are beautiful. They aren't as creative as Venice's but are a vital part of the city persona still.

The best part so far? It easily is trading the mid 90s of Tennessee out for the upper 60s here...so nice!

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Your hostels scare me! 4-Stars as a minimum for me dude. I'm quite envious though. Be safe, have a great time!

Tim said...

60's??? That's actually bordering on cold. I expected about 80. You suck :). The lengthy bike tour sounds awesome though.

Randall said...

On the road again, I see :) Have a great time over there! By the time you get back, it'll almost be Football Time in Tennessee! Be safe!

Jerm said...

Amsterdam is ALWAYS off the chain!!

Marty said...

I hope you at least stopped off and tried some marijuana. I mean, you're in Amsterdam it's a must!!!

Enjoy and have a safe trip.