Sunday, May 18, 2008

Finishing up in Slovenia

I'm a little behind posting. Croatian internet access leaves alot to be desired. I left Ljubljana & Slovenia two days ago, so I'm going back to my last day there.

Friday morning - spent a little time in the morning touring the city of Ljubljana I had been residing in for four days. I've been go so much I hadn't spent much time at all in this little jewel of a city. It's well known for it's unique architecture and colorful buildings.

I booked a short train trip to Zagreb, Croatia for the afternoon. I went to book my ticket in the morning and the cafes/pubs were packed with young people. I'm thinking...surely they weren't up ALL NIGHT LONG and still going strong. Ljubljana was abuzz as there was a student graduation parade @ noon, I found out. EVERYBODY between 18-25 had a whistle on them and were blowing them. It was like having 10,000 three year olds running around town all day with nobody to supervise them. You run into a pack of whistleblowers and you might lose your hearing permanently.

I was waiting for the 2:05 train to Zagreb (and Belgrade) and under typical Eastern European fashion it was late. It was late for about 30 minutes when...they just took the name of the board as if they train left minutes ago. I'm like...where is my train??? Of course, there is no English announcement to tell me what is going on. I finally found out my train had mechanical issues (or something) and it was indefinitely delayed. I had to wait 2 hours for the next Zagreb train. I was getting nervous b/c I didn't have a room booked in Zagreb and I would need to visit the TI (Tourist Info) office before they closed at dark. I ended up making it but my hostel was pretty cramped.

I ended up rooming with two girls (well...one was a lady). I noticed she has an Olympic camera battery charging running on the bed next to me. Guess what kind of camera I have? hehe. She was charging her battery overnight. At midnight, I woke up...removed her battery...and put mine in it's place. I then woke up at 3a after mine was fully charged and put hers back. I don't have to worry about camera batteries now!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"At midnight, I woke up...removed her battery...and put mine in it's place."

Are you sure your not from Jersey, that is typical jersey fashion!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were sneaky like that! That's hilarious!
I love reading about your transportation issues. I have faith that you will always work it out..... someway, somehow.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it have been easier just to ask???? You had to wake yourself up TWICE to get that battery charged!

AdidasOrange said...

It would have been easier to ask BUT...she already made it known she didnt want me, a guy, in her room.

I did it just to do it. :)

Anonymous said...

Wes...it looks like you had just an amazing trip. You will have to bring pics next time you are in Chatt. Hope all is well! Kipp