Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Slovenia - Lake Bled




I slept in a little this morning and got up and went down for some breakfast at the daily farmer's market here in Ljubljana. I ended up buying some strawberries. Fruit must really be in season here b/c it was everywhere.

I then went on to the train/bus station to catch the hour-plus ride to Bled. At first, I went with the recommended bus suggestion. I asked about the buses and told it would be there in two minutes, so I hurried outside to the rendevous spot. There are 22 bus lanes and I waited by the one that said "Bled". Two buses came in and both waived me off saying they weren't going to Bled. I KNEW the schedule, the info office confirmed it, but it never showed...*sigh*. The next bus wasn't scheduled for another hour and I knew I had no guarantees since the first one was botched, so I opted for the train. Unfortunately with the train, I had to also wait the hour AND I it came up 2.5 miles short of Bled, which meant I had to catch a bus there also for the final two miles.

I finally got there at 1:15. Bled is a small resort town on the shores of the lake there. The scenery was both stunning and beautiful. I took the 3.5 mile walk around the lake. It was sunny, of course, so I got the full effect. The lake has the Julian Alps in the distance (with some snow on them) for a backdrop. It also has this little island near the center of the lake with a church on it. I guess you could call that the cherry that goes on top of the sundae. The walk, weather and near perfect day there made it one of the best so far. I say "near perfect" because...I forgot my camera!!! It made me totally sick to my stomach. Of course, those that know me shouldn't be surprised, but I've never done that before on vacation. I NEVER leave my camera behind and this was probably the single best shot I was going to get on the entire trip.

But..there's hope. I have plans to bargain for a rental car tomorrow and Lake Bled just so happens to be on the route into the Alps. The conditions are supposed to be the same, of course, so I'll probably make the small detour just so I don't spend the rest of my life wishing I had that great shot of the church in Slovenia over my mantle.

Also, strung around the lake are small plenta boats that take you out to the island and the Church of the Assumption. I didn't make the boat ride, but there are "gondoliers" that will actually row you out there...think Venice.

2 comments:

Jen K. said...

Wow, so beautiful! Sounds like you are seeing one extreme to the other between the camps and then this. I can not wait to see the rest of your pictures!

Well...it is almost trip time for me to Cozumel in a couple days so if this is the last time I post something, have a wonderful rest of the trip. Thanks for the updates! Please leave this up for a little bit so I can read about the last part of your trip when I get back!

Jen K. said...

Wow, so beautiful! Sounds like you are seeing one extreme to the other between the camps and then this. I can not wait to see the rest of your pictures!

Well...it is almost trip time for me to Cozumel in a couple days so if this is the last time I post something, have a wonderful rest of the trip. Thanks for the updates! Please leave this up for a little bit so I can read about the last part of your trip when I get back!