Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Living like a King (just not Louis XVI)


Since I spent ALL FREAKING DAY (almost) at Versailles today, all you get is a history lesson from me today. Well, I spill my day out first...then the history lesson.

I was up early (6:30) this morning. That's not easy to do when you're not going to work...lol. But you have to if you want to see Versailles before it turns into the History Ride @ Disney World. I got there just after opening at 9a after riding the local train system (no mistakes!!!...I'm getting GOOD now). The palace @ Versailles is about 12 miles outside of Paris. I spent the rest of my day walking the streets of Paris again...mostly along the Left Bank, or the more artsy, commoners area. That included a stopover at the Luxembourg Gardens, Paris' largest park.

But on to Versailles. Versailles is important, very important to history even today. Versailles is the giant (and I mean GIANT) palace that was built by the very popular King Louis XIV in the 1600s during the heights of French domination in Europe. The palace was extravagant and every way possible. The French kings (14, 15 & 16) ruled here for a century before the heavenly lifestyle they were living led to the monarchy's downfall (the French Revolution, which happened around the same time American was ratifying the Constitution).

Versailles wasn't only the palace fit for a king. It contains more history than any other single spot in Europe. Napoleon was coronated as Emperor of France here in the early 1800s. The German state was born here in 1870 when the French were defeated by the Prussians. The Treaty of Paris was signed here ending World War I and is where all of Europe and the US came together to decided the fate of the entire world. Decisions that were made in that peace conference still have major ramifications today in Europe, Africa, and especially the Middle East.

The palace was huge, the staterooms extravagant, and the gardens...wow. Words can't describe the gardens, but they went on and on for, what I presume to be, thousands of acres. Pictures could never do Versailles justice.

Thanks to everyone posting comments. If you post questions, I'll try to answer them by personal email.

oh...and I'll have some picture posting delays. My camera batteries aren't going to make it if I'm only downloading them every night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Forget about the palaces and find a wife!!!

Randall said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! Just thought I'd drop a little Tennessee basketball action on you. Bobby Maze is a Vol!